Wednesday 25 January 2017

So Shall We Adventure

Oh my, I was not expecting this. But here's what I did know...

There would be adventures. 

Fox meets hounds. Three, to be exact. It was the first day. I had spent a weary night tired from the day's travel's in a cozy dorm.  In the morning, sipping my coffee in gratitude I introduced myself to the boys. There was Thane, Felix and Danny. That afternoon we went hiking.

I was delighted by the wild, woolly redwoods and more species of mushrooms than I've ever seen at once. The air is fresh. Alive. I touch the softness of the moss, thick with last night's rain. I wish the boys didn't feel the need to rush through such beauty. I'm grateful for the experience, however. I find myself amused by their puppy dog playfulness as they bound over fallen logs; I chase after them, feeling like Wendy running with the Lost Boys.

 I had been growing weary of our leader's guiding abilities when he motions for us to veer right. The path narrows in to a densely vegetated trail that leads to a crumbling cliff face. Below, the waterfall roars in a melody unto its own. I can almost taste the dew. There is a rope securely fastened to a tree. Repelling? Oh hell yeah. Adrenaline courses through my veins, releasing the melancholy from moments before. Safely at the river's bank, I cross a slippery cedar bridge to the shale littered peninsula. I close my eyes and inhale deeply, feeling the mist against my skin. I could exist here forever. I am struck by the contrasting stillness of the ancient forest. Branch-less trees heavy with vibrant greens call out to my soul, "You have arrived."


Cut.







No comments:

Post a Comment